Mass Mods Unregulated UA1
We finally got our hands on the Mass Mods UA1 last week and had a chance to sit down to get our hands on this slick mod to do some short-term usability testing. It has a solid feel with a very light weight to it, 147 grams without the batteries roughly about 5.2 oz. With two 18650s in it, it weighs 237 grams or roughly about 8.4 oz. If you're looking to carry something light and durable in your EDC arsenal, the UA1 will definitely fit the bill. The machining is smooth and the pieces fit together nicely with some nice strong magnets that keep the battery cover linked to the box.
Some initial details we noticed are the dual low resistance MOSFET transistors which is great because it keeps things nice and safe. All the wires are silicone and are definitely beefy enough for the electrical current that goes through it. Battery sleeves are gold plated and bent in so they won't mess up the sleeves for your batteries. The soldering is nice and clean. There's no button or battery rattle, which is great.
Now to go into detail about the switch...lets just say this mod is the safest unregulated box mod you could use, it has a capacitive safety which will not allow it to fire in any circumstance unless your finger is resting on it and pressing it simultaneously. It's never going to fire in your pocket, or fire on its own. All we have to say is that...the switch is awesome. It fires beautifully, the hit is great. Mass Mods definitely put in a lot of effort in this box mod and it really shows.
Although we are overall pleased with the UA1 it does have a few things that we might be overly nitpicky about: first of all is the packaging it comes in, for this higher valued product, we really wished it came with something that shows the innovation in its button design. The other nitpick we have with is, we wished that the 510 fitting sit flush against the box and the very minor battery cover movement that's only evident if you're actually trying to move it.
Overall, the Mass Mod UA1 is a great hitting, super safe, unregulated box mod.
+ Hits very very nicely
+ Safety switch is AWESOME
+ Two MOSFET transistors for safety
+ Strong Magnets
+ Solder points are clean
+ No battery rattle
+ Easy to use
- Packaging is cheap and was not designed
- Wish the 510 fitting sit flush against the box
- The battery cover moves very slightly
- Dual 18650 battery power source (not included).
- Capacitive safety - The first unregulated mod using our unique feature. The sensor relies on the electrical properties of the human body to detect when the button is being touched and/or pressed.
- Colored LED battery indicator - Four color states to quickly and easily determine remaining charge of the batteries.
- All aluminum enclosure - CNCed and anodized aluminum enclosure for optimal wear protection.
- Dual, low resistance MOSFETs - Carefully selected MOSFETs for optimal firing and reduced circuit resistance.
- Three position master switch - With a flick of a switch, you can bypass the capacitive function or turn the mod off completely.
- Silicon wires - All wires in the UA1 are silicon-sheathed and meant for high current applications. These wires are super flexible, strong, and are rated for temperatures up to 200°C.
- Mitec switch - Flat, durable, stainless steel anti-vandalism button with IP54 protection classification and rated for 100,000 on/off cycles.
- Covered solder joints - Marine grade dielectric paint covered solder joints to reduce oxidation and to protect against shorts.
- Available in Red, Blue, Purple, Green, Orange, Gunmetal, Gold, Silver, and Black
Cop or Drop?
Cop it, it's a great mod and the $175 is definitely worth it for the safety and innovation that this box offers.